Thursday, October 10, 2013

Seeing Beautiful in this Moment and For 28 Days in PLAY

For 28 Days by Brian Williams
Brian Williams is on a mission - and it's a beautiful one. For 28 days, explore change. Try something new - or rededicate yourself to something you wish you did more of - but for 28 days, just do it. On his website, he invites us all to take this journey to experience and reflect upon the challenge of change. He asks, "What do you think would happen if you change your life in one small way for 28 days?" And our thoughts about taking on this challenge seem to mirror Ghandi's beautiful sentiment that we "must become the change we want to see in the world." What if 428 days of committing yourself to 15 different foci is a gateway to being THAT change?

We are so honored that Brian's inaugural 28 day challenge was one of seeing beautiful. Now, he's at it again. This 28 days is all about PLAY! That's right, people. That's all  you gotta do. Just play.  Brian writes, "As a father of an energetic 7 year old and a dynamic 4 year old, I find myself longing for those days when I would spend a large part of my day at play.  You remember play, don’t you?  It was fun.  It was creative. You did it for no other reason than…you liked it. You played as much as you possibly could from the moment you open your eyes until you passed out on your pillow at night.

Then one day, something happened.  You grew up.  You got responsibilities and a job and bills.  Over time, there was less and less time for play.  After all, play didn’t pay the rent.  Consequently, play time slipped to the bottom of the priority list.  Deep inside, however, you missed your play time; moments spent doing something simply because it brought you joy.  Did you know…

According to the National Institute for Play, play is the gateway to vitality.  By its nature it is uniquely and intrinsically rewarding. It generates optimism, seeks out novelty, makes perseverance fun, leads to mastery, gives the immune system a bounce, fosters empathy and promotes a sense of belonging and community.

I need to play!  So for the next 28 days, I will challenge myself to play each day.  I will also post to 428days.com and share some of what I have learned during the challenge.  Of course, I invite you to share in this challenge with me."


Thank you, Brian, for focusing on a mission to create change - it is sure to reveal seeing the world in a different, perhaps more beautiful, way. 

And if you're here hopping with us, what a beautiful way to play already! Thank you so much for seeing beautiful with us. We'd love to know your play plans for the weekend!


6 comments:

  1. Wooooo Hooooo to play! I am making my MOM read this twice. hehhehhee. No seriously she plays with me a lot and I am blessed. Butt I still think she could use more play in her life. While this weekend is one of responsibilities, as she is one of those "in charge" people at our 6th annual 5K/Chili cook off to benefit the Veterans at our local Veterans Home. She will make a point to play during this time, when she runs I can see a funny outfit, when she is giving blood after the race, well let me just say that each year it is the highlight, as her and her friends can't stop laughing in the blood mobile, when she is emceeing the awards for the race and chili winners she has a list of fun playful things to say and do, she even is planning on horsing around in the horse ride area, and rumor has it she is going to dance through the pumpkin patch (that I gotta see), AND look out bounce house here comes my MOM! Yep I think she has her weekend all "played" out. This will be fun and beautiful, 28 days of play. I say "Let the games begin!"
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love to play!!! We agree with Goose...we will make sure that mama reads it TWICE so that we get DOUBLE the play!! Happy Seeing Beautiful!! xo Jeanne, Chloe and LadyBug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom is jealous of kids always just playing and carefree. Now that we have a new puppy, she takes more time to play and really enjoys it but it is hard to fit in a lot of play time as an adult if you have to work. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love to play. Even if it's just hiking, or exploring. Travel for us is our form of play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to play (mostly with illegal things) :o) Thanks for a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a wonderful play challenge ~ my daily 'play' will be with my Yorkie, photography and perhaps some wood block printing ~ Happy Weekend ~ carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & helping others see beautiful too!