Monday, September 19, 2011

You Are Not Your Hair. You Are Not Your Skin.

This song was a perfect fit for our See Beautiful's song of the month, the singer/songwriter is equally as beautiful. In honor of Childhood Cancer awareness month this was our choice:

I AM NOT MY HAIR by India Arie

Picture
Photo linked back to original source
India Arie, U.S. Ambassador to UNICEF, sees beautiful. She writes beautiful. She sings beautiful. She reminds others that they're beautiful. Her song, I Am Not My Hair, honors beauty beyond hair and reminds us that losing it doesn't define us. In honor of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, this is the specific portion of the song we LOVE because it's sees so beautiful:

"I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am not your expectations, no. I am the soul that lives within. It's not what's on your head, it's what's underneath. Does the way I wear my hair make me a better person? Does the way I wear my hair make me a better friend? Does the way I wear my hair determine my integrity? I am expressing my creativity...Cancer and chemotherapy took away her crowning glory. She promised God if she were to survive she would enjoy every day of her life. On national television her diamond eyes are sparkling, bald head like a full moon shining, singing out to the whole wide world like, 'Hey, hey, I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within.'"

These beautiful lyrics invite listeners to see beautiful. See beautiful beyond the surface. We hope it offers children who are fighting cancer an opportunity to see beautiful in all the beauty they possess.

You are not your hair. You are not your skin. You are the beauty that radiates from within. 

To purchase the single I Am Not My Hair, click HERE.
To watch the I Am Not My Hair video, click HERE.
To learn more India Arie, click HERE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you looking for a tangible reminder to see beautiful, or know someone who needs one? Check out our See Beautiful Products  (and feel good knowing a portion of proceeds from every purchase is donated to charity. This month a portion of all proceeds will be donated to The Pablove Foundation.). Click HERE
 


3 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAA-MAZING! Her words and the way she sings are so inspirational! "It's time for us to redefine who we be!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. no of course i am not my hair! they are fluffy all the time ! i am not ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. india arie is the most special singer-songwriter out there. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & helping others see beautiful too!