Character: A Hero Full of Grace
One of the most well know quotes of MLK, Jr. is, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Character. When we think of MLK, Jr.'s character we are reminded of a hero, full of grace. We reflect on his messages to others and find inspiration that leaves us seeing beautiful and understanding the importance of sharing more of it.
In an effort to honor his life's work, we are sharing many of his quotes that honor making this world a more beautiful place for all; one where equality and fairness for all is respected, promoted, and lived.
Thank you, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. for helping us see and seek more beautiful in the world. We hope we make you proud.
- "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."
- "Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals."
- "I am not interested in power for power's sake, but I'm interested in power that is moral, that is right and that is good."
- "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."
- "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
- "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'"
- "Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."
- "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
- "The moral arc of the universe bends at the elbow of justice."
- "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
- "We must use time creatively."