Thursday, October 9, 2014

I'm a Hunter

"I am a hunter of beauty and I move slow and I keep the eyes wide, every fiber of every muscle sensing all wonder and this is the thrill of the hunt and I could be an expert on the life full, the beauty meat that lurks in every moment.

I hunger to taste life." ~ Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts

Before reading this beautifully penned phrase by Ann Voskamp, I wouldn't have called myself a hunter. I save earthworms. Really, I do. I joke that I'm going to make a bumper sticker that reads, "I brake for earthworms" and proudly sport it on my car. Stink bugs enter my house? They go out alive. I'm not a hunter. 

But then again, I am...or at least I'm trying.

Our current catch phrase in society is "I'm busy" is and I'm growing to loathe the word. I don't like busy (and I'm the first to tell you that historically I've touted to many that "staying busy is good for me right now") - but I'm growing weary of the hamster wheel of the busyness business. 

I wanna move slow. I want to keep eyes wide open. I want to grow comfortable with every fiber of every muscle sensing all wonder. What a beautiful way to move through each day. 

What if we all became hunters? What if we all took a step back, a deep breath, and settled - right where you are. Let go of the to-do's and the wish-I'd-done's and the gotta-have's and the not-good-enoughs and the must-try-harders and drink in all that is perfectly enough and overwhelmingly beautiful surrounding you at this moment. Close your eyes and drink in beautiful with your other senses. Feel your skin. Isn't skin amazing? Listen to the sounds around you? Really, just stop and listen. Find something beautiful in those sounds. It's there and we miss them all the time if we're not searching for them. 

Today, become a hunter. It's hard to go all in without practice so take some time each day and your ability to hunt for beautiful, and feed your yearning to really taste life, will grow. 

Today, see beautiful in this moment. And all the little, beautiful moments following.

How's your beauty hunting going today?

6 comments:

  1. Oh you know I am a hunter or beautiful, I take it all in, at my pace and leisure. When my MOM is crazy nuts running here and there, doing this and that at mach speed she looks over at me breathing life in and it reminds her to slow down (if only for a moment or two). Usually she smiles, sighs and comes over and sits with me petting my silvery furs. Yea that's beautiful for both of us. I'll make sure she keeps practicing.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully said, and exactly how we live our life. Jumping off the treadmill of life was the very best thing we ever did for ourselves. We search, long for, and find beauty everywhere we go. I wouldn't live any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all dogs are experts at that

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!! Just popping in to say hello and to say Happy Seeing Beautiful!! xo Jeanne, Chloe and LadyBug

    ReplyDelete
  5. HUNTER - yes, by hook or by rook I try to find the good (silver lining) in the strangest places. BUT the rewards are heart warming (esp. on a dreary Sat. Morning) - better yet, the geese and ducks are elated, the rain levels are progressing away from the drought numbers, on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what I needed to read tonight my friend. Thank you. Love and beautiful to you. Just gave my last beautiful 'see beautiful' bracelet to a friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & helping others see beautiful too!