Friday, October 24, 2014

What You Believe About Your Body

"...How do these voices telling us that we are supposed to hate our bodies affect our notions of how we care for the sick, disabled, elderly, children, mothers, soldiers, workers, immigrants, men and women? What we believe about our bodies affects how we treat other bodies, and how we treat each other's bodies is how we treat each other..." (What the dying really regret, CNN)


Read the full article HERE. Reflect on the statement above for a moment. What you believe about your body directly impacts how you treat every body. Everybody. Every one.  When you judge your own looks, you by default judge others. Stop the judging. Embrace the beautiful. 


2 comments:

  1. Never realized this....thanks for the eye opening and beautiful learning!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true sentiment. I'm glad you shared the article. There are several points to think about for those of us living in bodies that are healthy and strong. I was so indoctrinated growing up in the 60's and 70's. It is truly habitual/reflexive to disapprove of my body as it ages (especially post-menopause!). I have to work hard every day to counter those thoughts. I really hope and believe it is easier for my daughters. People occasionally comment on the energy and smiling I do during exercise class. It's because the mental exercise I do for that hour is thankfulness and gratitude: Hey, I can still jump, bend over and touch my toes! and dance! and do a situp! Sometimes that's the only time all day that I don't have a critic living in my head telling me my hair is a mess, I'm wrinkly, getting fat, etc. Sorry to go on so long…the idea of dying people wishing they had loved their bodies more just really got to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & helping others see beautiful too!