Wednesday, September 18, 2013

To a See Beautiful Thief

“To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness …. to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory.” Howard Zinn 1922 – 2010

Dear Stealer of See Beautiful,

I went to the post office to ship orders today to find that my See Beautiful card was denied. I called the bank and found you had all but emptied out See Beautiful's bank account. While you may never know where the money you stole was going to make a difference, it is an opportunity for me to step back and think about you. Today, I send see beautiful thoughts your way. It is tragic that stealing is what you're resorting to and I hope what you took helped meet your needs. I hope that the money you took from others fed you and your family if you were hungry or clothed you if you were in need. We don't know each other. It is unlikely that our paths will cross. But humanity has a way of linking us all together. Because of our inextricable connection to one another, I hope the money you took can (or did) create good. Perhaps one day you'll stumble across See Beautiful's website and it will leave you thinking about ways you can create and celebrate beauty - even acknowledging beauty in yourself. Your actions weren't beautiful, but you are. For someone to take what isn't theirs reflects a deep hurt and obvious confusion - I wish this on no one and I am sorry its happened to you. I hope and pray that this need to steal from others ends right now.

What you monetarily TOOK from me and my company - trying to create more beautiful in the world - GAVE me a chance to reflect and see beautiful. In the face of stealing, it serves as a reminder there are so many we can support. In the face of taking, it serves as a reminder that there are billions out there giving. In the face of hurting a stranger, it serves as a reminder of the good beaming from the largest part of humanity.

I am fortunate to be a sliver of the See Beautiful community and I have the best, most uplifting, beautiful people around me reminding me every moment of the beauty around every corner - even finding it in theft. Rest assured, this won't put the company under - you can't bury beautiful. In fact, it reminds me how much work we have to do.

I hope you find peace in the simple beauty of the world and others and stealing is never necessary again.

Lydia, President of See Beautiful

3 comments:

  1. Miss Lydia I am going to be honest with you. My first reaction was Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to the person who did this. Butt your response to this person is overwhelmingly amazing and of course beautiful. My MOM re-posted this on FB and Oh My what a beautiful response she has gotten. It is amazing! You are spreading so much beautiful in even the midst of what I call "Grrrrr" moments. Endless blessings to you for showing us all the more beautiful path.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry this happened to you and to See Beautiful. But like Goose's Mom I find your response generous, caring, and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that this happened. Your response is indeed beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & helping others see beautiful too!